POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Inquiry on Implementing Ray Tracing for 3D Gaussians in POV-Ray : Re: Inquiry on Implementing Ray Tracing for 3D Gaussians in POV-Ray Server Time
27 Sep 2024 01:20:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Inquiry on Implementing Ray Tracing for 3D Gaussians in POV-Ray
From: Harry Peverell
Date: 24 Sep 2024 11:30:00
Message: <web.66f2da21e12415204a666fbab1b44dfe@news.povray.org>
> "ingo" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > "Harry Peverell" <har### [at] 163com> wrote:
> > >   As far as I understand,
> > > POV-Ray does not natively support ray tracing for ellipsoids of differing
> > > dimensions.
>
> I'm not sure _exactly_ what your end goal is (perhaps link to an example), but I
> do believe that we established that a scaled sphere is an ellipsoid, so you
> could just use that, or a blob {} object.
>
> Aside from that, there are any number of primitives that can be used to render
> ellipsoidal shapes.  Isosurfaces, polynomials, parametrics, spheres, . . .
>
> I need to better understand your specific needs in order to offer better advice.
>
> - Bill Walker

Thank you for your prompt and insightful response.

3DGS model is characterized by a set of 3D Gaussian points, which can be thought
of as ellipsoids of varying sizes. These points are not only used to represent
the geometry of a 3D scene but are also equipped with parameters that are
crucial for Physically Based Rendering (PBR). Each Gaussian point carries with
it attributes such as opacity, view-dependent color, and now, with our
enhancements, normal vectors and Bidirectional Reflectance Distribution Function
(BRDF) parameters. This allows for a more realistic rendering of the scene, as
the materials' interaction with light can be modeled with greater accuracy.

Implementing ray tracing within the 3DGS framework serves a couple of critical
purposes. Firstly, it addresses the challenge of achieving realistic rendering
effects such as shadows and inter-reflections, which are difficult to achieve
with traditional point-based rendering methods. By introducing a novel
point-based ray tracing approach using bounding volume hierarchies, we can
efficiently compute visibility and produce more photo-realistic images,
especially in terms of shadows and lighting effects.

Harry

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download '2.png' (2170 KB)