POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Crypt updated : Re: Crypt updated Server Time
27 Sep 2024 01:15:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Crypt updated
From: Chris R
Date: 16 Aug 2024 14:00:00
Message: <web.66bf92fec6cedb9b4d6accde5cc1b6e@news.povray.org>
> Op 15-8-2024 om 15:23 schreef Chris R:
> > I made a number of updates to the scene to make it a bit more interesting:
> >     - The crown is more distinct now
> >     - The marble for the altar is more sophisticated
> >     - There is a cloth hanging over the center of the altar
> >     - Added an incense censer and the monstrance on the altar
> >     - Added a depression in the hallway floor and allowed water to seep into it
> >

> Very good scene indeed!
>
> I have a couple of questions/comments:
>
> - I had not realised that there was a staircase in the background; I
> thought it was a wall. I would like to see a bit of perspective but that
> would be difficult because of the camera position. However, except for
> the somewhat wider bottom step which can be observed on both sides of
> the altar cloth and which appears to be lower, the other individual
> steps seem to high to me. If I translate them to the height of a person
> coming down to the crypt, he/she would not be able to stand upright I am
> afraid. And that would be in contradiction with the height of the altar.
> I may be wrong of course.
>
> - The ground around the altar is tiled, not so the floor towards the
> camera. Intentional?
>
> - The base of the walls are not directly connecting with the floor and
> show a narrow zone of "something", as if the floor was not finished
> there or too narrow. Under the arc, the floor connects, but is again not
> wide enough towards the side "chapels" for the tombs. This looks a bit
> "unfinished" to me...
>
> - Torches but no smoke at all?  ;-)
>
> - Not really an issue, but the flames seem to one single flame media (?)
> copied to all torches.
>

> --
> Thomas

The keen eye...

The attached picture has moved the viewpoint closer to the stairs to give a
better view of how they are constructed.  Beyond the arch, the ceiling above the
steps is significantly higher and/or is open to the sky.  You might have to
crouch a bit to get under the arch...

The difference in the flooring in the altar area and the rest of the crypt is
intentional.  The crypt I modeled this after was arranged that way.  And yes,
the walls and the raised section of the floor do not meet consistently.  The
real crypt had a sort of French drain around the edges, but some of the arches
overlapped.  I assume the drain went under them?  That's how I modeled it,
anyway.

The only randomness I provided in the media for the flames was a rotation.  The
flame shapes come from playing with turbulence in the media density.  I didn't
spend a lot of time coming up with ways to vary that and maintain something
vaguely flame-like.

I played around with smoke for the incense censer, but it doesn't who well at
all, especially in this view.  I have to play around with it some more in the
torch flames.  I had added a second media to represent the smoke, but it's
probably just not thick enough given the brightness of the flame media.

-- Chris R

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'scene-v2.1.png' (2931 KB)