POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Sea water : Re: Sea water Server Time
20 Apr 2024 11:44:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sea water
From: Chris R
Date: 27 Sep 2022 11:00:00
Message: <web.63330f0e9763bd24fd3b3a785cc1b6e@news.povray.org>
Alain Martel <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:

> > I started playing around with making realistic looking sea water and went down a
> > number of rabbit holes creating the island, dock, boat, curtain wall, etc... :-)
> >
> > This isn't a terribly high-quality rendering.  I have run it at very high levels
> > of anti-aliasing quality and radiosity quality where it takes about 4 days to
> > render, but the water is starting to look pretty good, so I thought I'd share
> > it.
> >
> > At some point I'll expand the scene so there's a reason the ship is there, and
> > there's a reason the walled fortress is there, but I am inviting comments on the
> > water rendering mostly.
> >
> > This is a combination of ideas and code borrowed from Christopher Hormann's
> > realistic water tutorial, and a number of newsgroup discussions about using
> > media to color the water.
> >
> > It's exciting that other people are posting their work here more frequently.
> > I'm happy the community is alive and well and still coming up with interesting
> > ideas.
> >
> > -- Chris R.
> >

> That's relatively calm water in a protected bay, explaining the absence
> of foam and the limpidity.
> The white ground covering looks like it's snow, so, Winter time. Why is
> the snow continuing under the water ? It should float as it quickly melt.

True, it should be somewhat calm, but even in calm bays you get some foam
floating in from further out.

The ground covering is supposed to be sand, but I haven't spent a whole lot of
time getting a good sand color.  I hadn't thought of it as snow, although that
could be an interesting experiment too, getting it to float on top of the
water...

-- Chris R.