POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : animation test-- compression encoding schemes : Re: animation test-- compression encoding schemes Server Time
25 Apr 2024 16:55:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: animation test-- compression encoding schemes
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 20 Feb 2022 10:30:00
Message: <web.62125dd3972028b91f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> > may David Buck can chip in.  I was (seriously) impressed by his recent coding
> > demo which came in at only ~1.2M.  (wouldn't mind knowing the "magic" settings)
>
> ANY help would be useful ;-) Trying to fathom the intricacies of this
> compression stuff-- AND container formats -- is like reading 'Moby Dick' in
> Sanscrit. In fact, the more I read about all of it, the more confusing it gets.
> There are HD video transmission standards, rgb vs. Rec 709 (and 601) standards,
> DVD standards, Blu_Ray standards, etc etc...
>
> :-O

I had to resize a video for a friend a while back, and as far as I can remember,
I used ffmpeg, or convert in order to resize and maybe decrease the frame rate
to make the file size smaller.

For the Secret Passage entry, I remember that all I did was open the image in
some image viewer and the re-save it using some settings that brought the file
size down.

I'd say that this is one of those areas where you should really just jettison
understanding how any of it works, and just start trying out different utilities
and software packages.   Fly by the seat of your pants.   Because when that
waters are this deep, and you're not planning to start a new PhD level career in
graphics formats and data compression algorithms, then you're not going to get
anything done, and you're still not going to understand how it all works.   Just
watch a single video on jpg compression and you'll see what I mean.