POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Floors, rails, stairs and roofs, tweaks : Re: Floors, rails, stairs and roofs, tweaks Server Time
25 Apr 2024 01:39:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Floors, rails, stairs and roofs, tweaks
From: Kenneth
Date: 16 Dec 2021 06:35:00
Message: <web.61bb2394a457077d4cef624e6e066e29@news.povray.org>
> Following Thomas' comments about the stairs, plus my own dissatisfactions, I
> have made some minor improvements...

This is a fascinating project to watch as it develops; the results are really
astounding. I'm sorry that I did not comment earlier, I was wrapped up in my own
POV-Ray chores, ha; but I went back and read all of the discussions starting
with your original post of Nov 9.

It all looks impossibly complex-- and quite beautiful. Thanks for sharing the
various renders and for explaining the nuts-and-bolts of how it was done.

Looking forward to seeing more!

-----
In one of your earlier threads/posts, you mentioned the possibility of using a
'radiosity-only' light_source (a feature (?) in UBER POV), for adding additional
fill light(?) to some of the darker recesses of your construction. Even if I'm
wrong about your meaning, it sounds like an interesting feature to contemplate:
A light_source that does not directly light-up an object surface, but does allow
the object to emit radiosity bounce-lighting (from that light) to other objects.

Doing some testing, I see that the same effect can be achieved in 'classic'
POV-Ray by using two identical objects for the 'main' object (one with
no_radiosity, one with no_image), perhaps in combination with an optional
light_group. The no_radiosity version is lit directly by the light; the no_image
version-- perhaps with a different finish{diffuse...} value-- casts the
light-produced rad onto other objects. (This may even be a way of 'tuning' the
rad lighting's cascading intensity from object to object. It would all be a
rather complicated construction, of course.)