POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Variation on the "Lava Lamp" Animated Text : Re: Variation on the "Lava Lamp" Animated Text Server Time
20 Apr 2024 02:24:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Variation on the "Lava Lamp" Animated Text
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 7 Dec 2021 21:30:00
Message: <web.61b017d5e023a67e1f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> The sine-wave traveling through the letters has be intrigued. If the letters are
> just CSG objects, how did you 'squash and stretch' them? My guess would be:
> using functions for initially creating the (many?) 'simple' object shapes, then
> adding an animated sine function on top of that. OR, by 'slicing' CSG objects
> into lots of thin sections, and maybe scaling the slices in x using the various
> phases of a sine function?

Very good question, Brother Kenneth.

Having gone through all of Dave's Bordered Characters (BC)code, I can say that
he could - and would - move a mountain using only a teaspoon.  However, I think
all of that is pretty complicated and would require a full reworking of the BC
code to pull off.

So, I'm gonna guess that it's a very skillfully applied transform matrix.