POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : image_map & interpolate ? : Re: image_map & interpolate ? Server Time
16 Apr 2024 04:18:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: image_map & interpolate ?
From: Kenneth
Date: 21 Nov 2021 16:55:00
Message: <web.619abf41a3e847a14cef624e6e066e29@news.povray.org>

> IIRC, With official POV-Ray versions, to get no interpolation - with
> image maps - the only way is to not use the interpolate keyword. The
> parser doesn't allow 'interpolate 0' with image maps though this is the
> no interpolation value internally.

Correct.

I sometimes use POV-ray to re-render animation frames and/or frames extracted
from a video as exact 1:1 pixel reproductions. In such cases, I leave
interpolate OFF-- although, from many tests I've made, it has absolutely no
effect, and can be on or off. Not so with antialiasing though. Depending on the
particular AA settings, there is a very subtle difference in the 1:1
reproduction. At 'higher quality' AA values (and using an exaggerated
'difference' test in an image-editing app to see what occurs) the difference
shows up as what looks like random 'pixel stars.' It's subtle but it's there. So
I turn AA off as well.

For the OP's pixel art idea, I would assume that he is zooming-in on the
image_map to see the individual pixels. Regarding AA, I don't know if it should
be used or not, as I've never tested that particular set-up. I guess it would
improve the *overall* render, if there happen to be actual objects in the scene
as well.