POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ruined castle : Ruined castle Server Time
18 Apr 2024 23:10:13 EDT (-0400)
  Ruined castle
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 3 Oct 2021 13:10:00
Message: <web.6159e35e47c4a09fb96893c06f35e431@news.povray.org>
Hi all

I've been playing with procedural entropy again, inspired by a visit to a
medieval castle over the summer. This is a good waypoint in the project; the
environment is a bit old-school but I'm pretty happy with the castle.

It occurred to me that an 'easy' way to ruin brick structures is to construct
geometry to define the missing areas and use a simple inside test when placing
bricks. This is slightly complicated by the need to perform the exclusion test
on a brick's final position, so I ended up writing macros to fill some simple
regions with bricks. The castle here was made using just two top-level macros -
filled boxes and hollow cylinders with arbitrary position/orientation.

A further issue was that the exclusion geometry was too regular, giving neat
pixellated edges to all the removed areas. So instead of using the geometry
directly, bricks are placed or omitted according to a pigment function defined
by a turbulated object pattern.

Windows and doors, plus their arches and frames, were achieved using the same
basic tools, albeit without turbulence on the exclusion shape, and can therefore
be ruined by the same process.

Not sure where to go with it next...!

Bill

Post a reply to this message