POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Example of .obj import please : Re: Example of .obj import please Server Time
19 Apr 2024 06:44:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Example of .obj import please
From: The Traveler
Date: 30 Sep 2021 18:50:00
Message: <web.61563dcbcc8d58d2dd31149be3dfee7c@news.povray.org>
> "The Traveler" <jho### [at] northrimnet> wrote:
> > "The Traveler" <jho### [at] northrimnet> wrote:
> > > "Version 3.7.1 extended the mesh object by adding a New feature that supports
> > > importing Wavefront (OBJ) files."
> > >
> > > So it appears I'll need to use 3.8.0-b2 as .obj import isn't in 3.7.0 ...
> >
> > 3.8.0-b2 gives the same error.
>
> IIRC, Cousin Ricky and I both resort to using spreadsheets to convert STL files
> to proper POV-Ray mesh {} syntax.
>
> Roland Smith also has a python script on GitHub:
>
> https://github.com/rsmith-nl/stltools
>

> But probably the easiest and most used way to do it is to use PoseRay.
> https://sites.google.com/site/poseray/

Thanks guys. Poseray is not an option as I'm on Linux and would prefer not to
load WINE to run it. I've been eyeballing the .stl format which is the native
output 3d format for the program I'm using (Mandelbulber) so I may end up coding
a stl2mesh2 converter in C with the Qt toolkit eventually.

MeshLab runs under Linux and converts .stl very nicely to .obj and I was hoping
it worked in 3.8.0-b2 but apparently no dice ...

Thanks for the heads up on the the Roland Smith script. I'll may give it a go. I
know Python so if I hit a snag I can probably fix it or port it to pyQt for
a nice GUI interface.

Cheers.