POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : res.ini only a feature for povray in Windows? : Re: res.ini only a feature for povray in Windows? Server Time
20 Apr 2024 05:29:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: res.ini only a feature for povray in Windows?
From: The Traveler
Date: 27 Sep 2021 12:15:00
Message: <web.6151ecf7ffffcfe7dd31149be3dfee7c@news.povray.org>
Well, hmm, okay. It appears that NONE of the "resXXX.ini files are working so
the problem may lay elsewhere. Same "failed to parse command line" error on any
of them.

It may be a command expansion problem with bash itself reading a "naked" shell
parameter, but I've never seen that happen in a stock Linux distro.

I have compiled and installed 3.8.0-b2 in /home/jeff/.local which is normally
how I install any testing code I don't want polluting my file system. I have
full read/write/execute permissions as its my home directory and I have
ownership. There is a /home/jeff/.povray/3.8 directory with both povray.conf and
povray.ini files in it. The Library_path variables point to the correct include
and ini directories. The install was done via the configure script ./configure
--prefix=/home/jeff/.local so the compiler/installer built all the files

Everything else works properly with the exception of reading the "resXXX" or
"res[XXX]" files.

Interesting problem. I do know my way around a Linux system having used various
distros since '95 so I'm checking all the obvious stuff. (Okay, I missed the
backticks) ;)

I suppose I could uninstall this current config and let the installer place
everything in /usr/local by default. I don't think it will make any difference
buy I'll give it a go and see what happens.

Cheer