POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : res.ini only a feature for povray in Windows? : Re: res.ini only a feature for povray in Windows? Server Time
19 Apr 2024 13:25:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: res.ini only a feature for povray in Windows?
From: jr
Date: 27 Sep 2021 02:50:00
Message: <web.6151694affffcfe780468f836cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

"The Traveler" <jho### [at] northrimnet> wrote:
> Howdy folks, Was the ability to parse multiple rendering configurations using a
> "res.ini" file only a feature for the Windows version of povray? I've been using
> povray under Linux for so long, I don't recall.
>
> From section 2.2.8.2 I have a simple res.ini file with these settings (copied
> from the verbatim manual):
>
> ; RES.INI
>   ; This sample INI file is used to set resolution.
>   +W120 +H100  ; This section has no label.
>               ; Select it with "RES"
> Using 3.8.0-b2 in Lubuntu Linux: povray res[Low] +Itest.pov gives me an error:
> "Failed to parse command line option".

looks like you're ignoring the "environment".  not sure about Lubuntu, but many
Linux distributions (incl my favourite) use the Bourne Again Shell (BASH) as
interpreter, and that uses brackets, so your command needs to read:

  $ povray 'res[low]' +itest.pov

or quotes instead of apostrophes.  also, you can drop the '+Iname' if the .ini
file contains that info, eg:

  input_file_name = test.pov

hth.

regards, jr.