POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A head full of hair : Re: A head full of hair Server Time
19 Apr 2024 05:56:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A head full of hair
From: Kenneth
Date: 24 Sep 2021 20:10:00
Message: <web.614e685b467a8aa74cef624e6e066e29@news.povray.org>
> Following an old discussion in 2014:

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.52dff97746aac96b7a3e03fe0@news.povray.org%3E/?mtop=391452
&moff=21

> I took up Robert McGregor's code to see how it could be tweaked to
> obtain a nice haircut.

I love this-- especially with all the hair shadows falling over the face. No
fakery there!

I'm curious: In the news thread you mentioned (or maybe an offshoot of it), one
of the ideas was to color each hair along its individual curl, like uv-mapping,
using some clever code. I can't really discern that effect from your posted
render, but did you do that as well?

> Based on user benchmarks, the i5-6500 seems to perform a bit better than the
> i5-8250(U), but the i7-8750(H) outperforms both. (The number of cores, however,
> do factor into all this.)

Indeed. the i5 has 4 cores / 8 logical processors (hence my +wt7) and
the i7 has 6 cores / 12 logical processors, where I generally use +wt10
or +wt11.

Naw-- an i7 with 8 cores/16 threads is the way to go :-P (My previous machine
was a Win7 box with 'only' 2 cores! How did I ever manage with that?!)