POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : using POV-Ray as 3D renderer for Python scripts : Re: using POV-Ray as 3D renderer for Python scripts Server Time
18 Apr 2024 15:09:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: using POV-Ray as 3D renderer for Python scripts
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 14 Sep 2021 13:40:00
Message: <web.6140dd84b1b48eb01f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> Blobs are faster to parse and render than simple spheres? I didn't know that!

As Alain pointed out, it's a bounding thing - might be interesting to add some
time stamps and compare spheres vs blobs.

> Overall, it sounds like #read-ing the generated data file from disc as an
> #include file would be the only time concern, re: parsing; Alain's extreme
> example of 50 000 000 'things'--even as simple data points/radii-- might take a
> fair amount of time to #read. But I've never used such a really huge .inc file,
> so I don't know for sure.

No - don't use #read.  Write directly to an include file the text defining the
array.

#declare PointsAndRadii = array {
}

Then just include that file.  Get the dimension_size of the array, then loop
through it to instantiate all of the spheres/blobs.