POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Ideas. Updated f_wood(). povr branch. : Re: Ideas. Updated f_wood(). povr branch. Server Time
18 Apr 2024 18:54:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ideas. Updated f_wood(). povr branch.
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 13 Sep 2021 19:25:00
Message: <web.613fdcdceea58d851f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>

> One of the distribution types recently added to f_distribtion() was a
> normal/gaussian. With this in hand, I took another run at an f_wood()
> supporting more realistic growth rings. I left all turbulence and
> displacement to outside actors.

This is very cool.   I experimented a bit with the marble pattern to try to get
a more irregular spacing of the veins and a variation in the width.  I'll have
to get back to that once things IRL settle down a bit.

Is it possible to implement this as a function in plain-vanilla SDL, or does it
require some "special sauce"?

Regardless, this is looking great as the basis for some excellent wood patterns.
 Looking forward to seeing this implemented with some black hole warps for the
knots, and a good color map and finish.   :)