POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : using POV-Ray as 3D renderer for Python scripts : using POV-Ray as 3D renderer for Python scripts Server Time
19 Apr 2024 04:03:11 EDT (-0400)
  using POV-Ray as 3D renderer for Python scripts
From: Florin Andrei
Date: 12 Sep 2021 17:55:00
Message: <web.613e76baa1b49b241d17ce849d9fedd@news.povray.org>
I'm not happy with what I've seen so far in terms of rendering 3D graphs in
Python. I want to be able to draw many points in 3D, each with its own
coordinates and other attributes such as size and color, and render the scene
with optional dynamic parameters (such as rotating it around some axis).

But that would mean POV-Ray would have to take a scene file with thousands of
small objects (the dots), each point being a small opaque sphere. The file will
be machine-generated and fairly large. Should I be concerned with the
performance of the renderer?

The scene will otherwise be simple - I will draw a system of coordinates, and
optionally grids of coordinates. I'm not planning on using textures.