POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Windows XP compatibility : Re: Windows XP compatibility Server Time
19 Apr 2024 01:48:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Windows XP compatibility
From: Warren
Date: 6 Aug 2021 15:10:00
Message: <web.610d87d9d5a68e3b1d602a3e756b296@news.povray.org>
> Am 19.07.2021 um 05:22 schrieb HKarsten:

[...]
> We prefer targeting multiple build tools, to increase support.
[...]

Hello,
I think you should consider the 'CMake' tool. It is used in more and more
projects, and with its scripting language allows the user to choose the building
process, that can be (not exhaustive):
-Compile the project with a Makefile under Windows or Linux
-Compile the project under Windows with a Visual Studio Solution.
-Other compilations solutions...
-Setup some files (else than the generated binaries) in the standard directories
of differents OSes, /usr/local/share or C:\Program Files\'project dir' for
example.

All you need to do is to write one or several files named 'CMakeLists.txt' and
use the CMake script language. I use CMake in my games projects, it is present
in many Unix standard repositories and is of course available for Windows and is
free.

One good point is that you must write only one 'CMakeLists.txt' file per
binary/project even if you target several OSes.