POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Beach Scene : Re: Beach Scene Server Time
20 Apr 2024 01:42:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Beach Scene
From: Chris R
Date: 16 Jul 2021 09:35:00
Message: <web.60f189ee115c8a23c40c4ef25cc1b6e@news.povray.org>
> Op 15-7-2021 om 16:46 schreef Chris R:
> > I have been working on this for a few weeks and am about ready to move on, so I
> > thought I'd share it with the community.  The comments I receive usually end up
> > in future projects.
> >
> > This is based on a photo of the back side of a row of colorful beach huts.  In
> > the original, all of the huts looked like they had been freshly sided and
> > painted, which wasn't terribly interesting to me, so I decided to age them quite
> > a bit so I could continue working on my raw-wood textures and aging paint
> > textures.
> >
> > The shingles were another new area for me to play with.  I have done tiled roofs
> > before, but this is my first attempt at a tar-shingled roof.
> >
> > The foundation posts have a layer of sand on the lee-side; you can sort of see
> > it in this view.  I have other test views with closeups that look pretty good as
> > well.
> >
> > I'm pretty happy with the sandy beach and the random stones.  I thought about
> > adding some seashells to the mix, but haven't done that yet.
> >
> > Thanks ahead of time for any comments and suggestions for improvements.
> >
> > -- Chris R
> >

> Very nice work indeed.
>
> I wouldn't be me if I did not have a couple of comments:
>
> I feel the sand to be a bit too 'concrete-like' ;-) You can without
> problems drastically increase the normal (granite?) on that, to have
> better defined sand grains.
>
> The beach itself would be improved with sharp edges due to wind
> rippling, dune forming.
>
> The pebbles are superfluous imo and look somewhat 'uncomfortable' on
> this surface. A proper sand beach will not really show pebbles; a pebble
> beach however, could show sand ripples across it.
>
> I like your peeling paint. Well done.
>
> that dark spot Bill mentioned: a plane? an ufo? ;-)
>
> --
> Thomas

Thanks!

I had pulled the normal out of the sand texture as the beach is a large
isosurface and I added the graininess there.  I'll play around with adding it
back in for a more fine-grained look.  I like your idea about adding more sharp
edges; just need to find some good functions for generating them on the
isosurface.

The original photo had the pebbles in it, so I tried to model them.  I'm not
sure where this beach is.  The frequency could probably be reduced, or they
could be replaced with shells instead, which I find on my beach walks pretty
often.

Chris R.