POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : SSLT with the Granite_21_beta1.7 macro : Re: SSLT with the Granite_21_beta1.7 macro Server Time
19 Apr 2024 02:50:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SSLT with the Granite_21_beta1.7 macro
From: Dave Blandston
Date: 4 Jul 2021 04:45:00
Message: <web.60e1741cbc4aff2a2636f1af607c1b34@news.povray.org>
> A granite would not look like this. This is more like a granite-textured
> kind of pottery. What is missing is the internal structure of minerals,
> especially in the ears. I am pondering the problem and think into the
> direction of a media, or maybe, a special kind of isosurface (I am
> thinking of my rings of Saturn in 2017), or again, a rand_in_object fill
> with small particles.

Wow this looks extremely promising. I think you are on the verge of a major
accomplishment!

I visited a local granite supply store again recently to look more carefully at
real granite. If I may make a humble suggestion relative to the current phase of
your project based on what I saw it would be this: The samples that I observed
that demonstrated SSLT only seemed to have SSLT properties in the veins, or
perhaps certain types of crystals but not others. The same was true of the
"sparkly" and/or iridescent elements. Perchance that condition was unique to the
granite samples that the business happened to have in stock at that time. I have
no idea whether or not a larger set of samples would reveal that that is a
universal rule.

Also, I noticed that some granite is like the Dakota Red as far as scale, for
example a 1" x 1" piece is all you need in order to know what the pattern looks
like. There were some samples with a much larger scale (although the individual
crystals were probably similar in size) and by that I mean that you would need a
much larger piece in order to get an idea of what the pattern looked like. In
some cases a 3- or 4-square-foot or even larger piece would be necessary.

I promise I'm not trying to complicate your project, I'm just mentioning what I
saw.

Kind regards,
Dave Blandston
Suggested motto: "With POV-Ray anything is possible, but nothing is easy"