POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray for Android : Re: POV-Ray for Android Server Time
25 Apr 2024 15:52:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray for Android
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 20 Jun 2021 13:35:00
Message: <web.60cf7ba619807c8ab96893c06f35e431@news.povray.org>
"Mr" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Could you help me improve this procedure:
> https://wiki.povray.org/content/HowTo:Install_POV#Termux
>
> I don't know if you were aware of it, and the machines are a bit different
> since yours was 64 bits and mine 32.

I was not aware of this. I'll have a read through and detail what I did in the
discussion there.

> Particularly interesting is the fact that your phone is literally the most
> used on the planet so the procedure to build POV on it can have much added
> value to this community ;-)

I did not know this either! I actually find this slightly surprising - most
people I see using smartphones seem to have much larger flagship models, but
maybe I only notice heavy users or some other bias. The main reason I chose this
model was size (the larger phones are awkward in pockets for me etc).

> I had troubles to do the last "install" step after build, so had to use more
> convoluted command lines to launch each render. do you have workarounds to
> this?

If you don't have root access, you won't be able to grant permission to install
to the normal locations. The unix compile guide talks about installing as a
non-privileged user - you can specify an install location at the configuration
stage. This is what I did. You then just add that location to PATH and you
should be able to launch povray from anywhere.

> Thanks for your experiment ! Not that Vim plays nice to edit pov scenes with
> its syntax highlight !  :-)

Well I'm not really a terminal power user so I don't really have a preferred
editor. I should correct that at some point, but learning vim or emacs to a
productive level is some effort, especially through a six-inch screen :)

Bill