POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray for Android : POV-Ray for Android Server Time
23 Apr 2024 18:28:16 EDT (-0400)
  POV-Ray for Android
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 17 Jun 2021 16:25:00
Message: <web.60cbaf1456b8f4c4b96893c06f35e431@news.povray.org>
I compiled POV-Ray on my phone yesterday, partly because I had some inconvenient
time to kill with not much else to hand, and partly because why the hell not?!

I used Termux, the Android linux-in-a-can, and to my surprise it worked
perfectly, finding the Termux pkg versions of the dependencies notwithstanding.
Having produced the traditional mirrorball over checker, I ran the standard
benchmark scene, and then later also ran it on my laptop for interest:

Samsung Galaxy A51 : 6 minutes 47 seconds (3129 CPU-seconds total)
MacBook Pro (2012) : 7 minutes 57 seconds (1806 CPU-seconds total)

I guess I shouldn't be surprised; the phone is only a year or so old (albeit
mid-range), and has 8 cores vs the Mac's 2. However, it is faintly alarming that
my most powerful POV-Ray-capable machine is currently my phone :)

Bill