POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.scene-files : Granite_21 macro - beta #1.4 : Re: Granite_21 macro - beta #1.5 Server Time
18 Apr 2024 04:52:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Granite_21 macro - beta #1.5
From: Dave Blandston
Date: 31 May 2021 04:15:00
Message: <web.60b49a3f388d0b7a79416a1f607c1b34@news.povray.org>
> Concerning that last point, and with the knowledge that the granite
> /industry/ names /granite/ everything that is hard, grainy, pretty when
> polished, I have started to wonder if /all/ the granite codes provided
> originally by Daniel Mecklenburg (an employee of said industry) /are/
> really granites. There is little doubt imp, about Canadian Pink and
> North American Pink; Southern Gray and Medium Gray also seem to be
> genuine, but I need more info. However, I start to seriously scratch my
> head with the /black/ granites: Impala and India Black; and what to
> think of St. Andre Green? I think those are not granites at all but
> something else, gabbros, gneisses, I don't know what. Again, I need more
> info. What I want to say by all this, is that those rocks potentially
> may need a different approach in comparison to the granites proper.

According to the folks at our local granite supply store, some unique granite
formations turn out to be fairly small and inconsistent over distance. So some
variations of granite have been totally depleted and are no longer commercially
available.

Kind regards,
Dave Blandston
Suggested motto: "With POV-Ray anything is possible, but nothing is easy"