POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Looking for POV-Ray 0.x : Re: Looking for POV-Ray 0.x Server Time
18 Apr 2024 09:13:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Looking for POV-Ray 0.x
From: jr
Date: 20 May 2021 10:40:00
Message: <web.60a67468ef7e98f379819d986cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

"Bob" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > Op 20-5-2021 om 12:02 schreef Bob:
> > > Sure, but I still would like to obtain POV-Ray 0.5... I have some ancient scenes
> > > that don't render with DKBTrace nor POV-Ray 1.0, and their syntax is like a
> > > hybrid between the two.
> > >
> > The correct name seems to be: "PvRay Version 0.5" (sic), "BETA Release
> > 9/07/91",
> >
> > {...}
> >
> > but it does not seem to be available on the net anywhere. No results
> > from the WayBackMachine either.
> >
> > --
> > Thomas
>
> This helps actually, I ran a search for PvRay and found a copy for Macintosh on
> an old CD-ROM uploaded to the Internet Archive:
> https://archive.org/details/MacintoshMania1
> Unfortunately I don't know what to do with it as I don't have a Macintosh. I was
> able to browse the contents of the CD on my Linux machine but all the
> executables (?) are reported as zero byte files. Regular text files display
> properly though.

by "regular text files" you mean source code?  you could embark on a "nice"
project, getting it (bit by bit) to compile.  :-)  alternatively, maybe use an
emulator?  the Google snippet for <https://9to5mac.com> claims: "the emulator
allows you to run a wide range of early Macintosh software, from the MacWrite
and MacPaint apps supplied with the machine..."

regards, jr.