POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : On the long unfinished normal related warps in warp.cpp. : Re: On the long unfinished normal related warps in warp.cpp. Server Time
23 Apr 2024 18:33:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: On the long unfinished normal related warps in warp.cpp.
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 18 May 2021 13:35:00
Message: <web.60a3fa8ae71bfb471f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>

> If I understand your question, yes, in that you are not using a warped
> EPoint when uv mapping. The 'EPoint' is the local shape intersection
> point.

OK

> > And with regard to applying a global normal pattern that is
> > dependent upon an object's location in POV-space, is this desirable, expected,
> > and can it be overridden?
> >

> Again not quite sure I follow. You can delay defining all shape's
> textures until you are at the global scene level. Say a set of 50
> spheres in a union where the (not uv mapped) texture including the
> normal is defined at the union definition or later. There the position
> of the 50 spheres within the texture eventually applied will result in
> differences sphere to sphere.

What I'm asking about is the separability of the texture and the normal.

Can I have a distinct uv-mapped texture for each object (which is bounded /
defined by the uv vectors), but have them all share a "regular" normal that
extends throughout all of POV-space and is calculated based on the POV-space
<x,y,z> location vector?

So: can I apply a POV-space normal to an object but then also apply the local
shape intersection point uv-mapped texture.  Or some other way of accomplishing
the same end result.