POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Installation thread : Re: POV-Ray Installation thread Server Time
25 Apr 2024 02:52:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Installation thread
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 12 May 2021 07:05:00
Message: <web.609bb4f52344a9a18e52cc8789db30a9@news.povray.org>
> "Tor Olav Kristensen" <tor### [at] TOBEREMOVEDgmailcom> wrote:
>
> Thanks for those instructions.  It's always good to get a few people to recount
> their installation commands from scratch to see if there are some small
> important details.
>
> Those dependencies are a good case in point.
>
> > It might be that the process of compiling v3.8 is quite similar to this.

Right after my last post I did this.

  git checkout release/v3.8.0
  cd unix
  ./prebuild.sh
  cd ..
  ./configure COMPILED_BY="My Name <email@address>"
  make check

The result was a working POV-Ray version 3.8.0-alpha.unofficial

> Probably.  I gave it a whirl with qtpovray, way back when, and what is in my
> history is this:
>
> sudo apt install git qt5-qmake qt5-default libboost-dev libboost-date-time-dev
> libboost-thread-dev libz-dev libpng-dev libjpeg-dev libtiff-dev libopenexr-dev
> git clone https://github.com/dickbalaska/qtpovray.git && git checkout qtpovray
> && qmake && make -j4
>
> But then I think Dick Balaska whacked me upside the head and said "Listen, it's
> as simple as:
>
> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:qtpovray/qtpovray
> sudo apt update
> sudo apt upgrade
> qtpovray
> "

Nice. That's useful.

> > I see now that you mention installation of official POV-Ray. The process above
> > will, of coarse, always make and install an unofficial version.
> >
> > Are you aware of any official prebuilt binary for x86_64 Linux PCs ?
>
> At the outset of _this_ installation thread, I went looking around, and found
> that
>
> sudo apt-get install povray

Yes, of course. I forgot about that. That's how I installed v3.7 on this Ubuntu
PC earlier. And since Ubuntu's repository version was already installed, I did
not want to mess up things by running the sudo make install command.

> actually worked  :O  Which is lovely, because it can hardly get any easier than
> that, excepting buying it pre-installed on the laptop.
>
> So, I'm guessing that's an already compiled binary?

Yes, it is. But it is probably not an official one.

> Thanks again for your review and commentary - always appreciated.

I'm glad that I can help.

--
Tor Olav
http://subcube.com