POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Infinite poly-torus : Infinite poly-torus Server Time
23 Apr 2024 23:48:37 EDT (-0400)
  Infinite poly-torus
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 28 Feb 2021 08:05:01
Message: <web.603b9438d59be3661f9dae300@news.povray.org>
No idea what to actually call it, but I had the idea to expand the Triple Torus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genus_g_surface#Genus_3

into an infinite plane of smoothly blobbed tori.

That would tie in with the hexagonal tilings we've played with in the past, as
they'd have the same centers, and then I guess there would have to be some sort
of mod() operator to extend the function out to infinity.

[Can such a function be modified with a warp to make it wrap around another
torus or a cylinder...?]

That got me playing with some simple grid functions I found on ShaderToy, and we
really don't have any native grid pigment patterns in POV-Ray, which is odd.

I have something worked out to complement jr's recent re-working of Friedrich
Lohmueller's gridded scene-layout stuff, but it's in layered texture
{pigment{function{}}} form.

Seems like it works on all axes, with square and/or rectangular layout.
Maybe I should try skew just to see what, if anything breaks.

Maybe next will be triangular, hexagonal, ...