POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Re: Spiral Warp : Re: povr / hgpovray38 / pov-ray 4 (was Re: Spiral Warp) Server Time
23 Apr 2024 11:45:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povr / hgpovray38 / pov-ray 4 (was Re: Spiral Warp)
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 26 Feb 2021 07:10:01
Message: <web.6038e42b59874ccc1f9dae300@news.povray.org>

> > Aside: I am mostly busy with real life for a bit (a week?). I need to do
> > my US taxes

Don't worry Bill, the income tax, an unConstitutional unapportioned direct tax
is merely a temporary wartime measure.   Just like the 14 day lockdown to
"flatten the curve".  :|

Government: You owe us money.
Citizen: I do? How much do I owe?
Government: YOU have to figure that out.
Citizen: So, I just pay what I want?
Government: No - we know _exactly_ how much you owe, but it's up to you to
figure out how much that is.
Citizen: What if I get it wrong?
Government: You go to prison.

> Please go on posting about povr (and Le_Forgeron about hgpovray38)
> wherever you see the necessity. Those are important works which I follow
> with interest, even if most of the time the content goes way over my
> head. ;-)  I see them as beachheads for any future version of POV-Ray,
> even an official version 3.8, but certainly higher, being that 4.0 or
> 3.9+. Keep up the good work!

Yes indeed.  All of the summaries and ponderings, and unravelings of existing
code are instructive - they provide a peek under the hood, familiarize me with
the thought processes and caveats involved in source-side raytracing, and
illustrate the problems, tradeoffs, and solutions.  Things I may not have
understood 5 years ago, I will often find myself referencing multiple times as I
toy with new ideas and leap out off the edge in reckless pursuit of new
knowledge.  :D

> In the meantime, there is the matter of all the current includes files
> to consider too for instance, as I was made aware of again. I would
> gladly contribute to their upgrading to more modern standards where
> textures and such are concerned.

Hopefully most things like this will be some simple elimination of ambient in
finishes, and other things that can be quickly addressed with some good old
find-and-replace.

> However, I have some misgivings about
> my role as I know that health issues in my close family environment in
> the (near) future may seriously hamper or stop my contribution. Otoh, I
> always could start something of course and see where it leads me...

Good luck with the health issues - they catch up to us all no matter what we do.