POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Flexible lamp neck : Re: Flexible lamp neck Server Time
20 Apr 2024 01:04:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Flexible lamp neck
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 20 Feb 2021 18:25:00
Message: <web.60319a28d0c3b58b1f9dae300@news.povray.org>
> On 2021-02-10 6:58 PM (-4), Cousin Ricky wrote:
> > I figured out how to model a flexible lamp neck [snip]
>
> Sneak preview.  The harlequin colors are there for testing.
>
> That other lamp in the left background is a rudimentary place holder
> that I've been using for the past 5 years.

Well, you've certainly spent a lot of time honing this object.
The textures are very nice, and they really replicate the real thing.

The base just looks - real.  The shape, the gloss, the texture on the toggle
switch, the press-fitting of the lamp neck.  Even the little gap between the
base and the floor, where the felt pad presumably is.

The light bulb looks real as well.  I looks like thin glass with a thin layer of
kaolin powder coated onto the inside.

It's neat that the texture on the outside of the shade "peeks out" a bit beyond
the inner white.

Should be interesting to see your power cord, and the lit final product.

Of course you're going to want to give the neck spline a bit of non-uniform
wiggle, and from a math and rigging perspective, one would have to define a
minimum radius that the FMC/Greenfield style neck can achieve and somehow
disallow sharper bends.  Just a math/programming observation and a puzzle to
suggest.  :)

Your placeholder has that antialiasing artifact that just got brought up.
The square in front of it is rather bright - a trick of the lighting and
falloff?

That thing is gonna look _real_ with an HDR environment.   :O

As always, very nice, very meticulous work.