POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Ubuntu 20.4.1 Gnome desktop leaking memory (SDL2 issue) : Re: Ubuntu 20.4.1 Gnome desktop leaking memory (SDL2 issue) Server Time
19 Apr 2024 17:13:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ubuntu 20.4.1 Gnome desktop leaking memory (SDL2 issue)
From: jr
Date: 12 Dec 2020 09:20:08
Message: <web.5fd4ce702c1371ef79819d980@news.povray.org>
hi,

> On 12/11/20 9:53 AM, jr wrote:
> >> buffer space too, but I can't yet "find" that related to Gnome. Not sure
> >> how to completely see the buffer memory and what applications are it.
> >
> > have a look at ...
>
> Thank you - a place to start.

an other "obvious" place to get info is '/proc/$$/'  ('man 5 proc').

> > sticking my neck out -- the majority of those terminals will 'ssh' sessions?  in
> > which case, if you're not familiar/having considered already, a single (u)xterm
> > running screen(1) could take care of those.  v convenient ime, detachable
> > sessions etc, "old" s/ware, ie stable.
>
> Some and sometimes more, sometimes less.
>
> Thanks for the mention of screen! New to me, though in reading about it,
> I wonder if this not the functionality on which the Gnome terminal tabs
> lean. In any case, it looks useful - and its picked up newish
> programming ownership.

it's worth (imo) spending time setting up the '~/.screenrc' with "comfortable"
defaults and key-combos, etc.

> Please feel free to mention the "obvious" with me. Daily, I find
> significant gaps and errors in my knowledge... Plus, my old brain isn't
> all that good at pulling stuff to the surface these days - even when
> I've run across it at some past point!

heh, self struggles to stay lucid.  :-)

> > am somewhat interested because I've enabled the pre-installed Linux VM on the
> > Chromebook, and that is Debian/Ubuntu, though no gnome desktop.
>
> I'm interested in your experiences with the linux VM on a Chromebook.
> The latter relatively cheap, and I've been without a workable laptop
> capable of POV-Ray / povr hacking for a long time.

go for it!  only proviso, afaik, the VM requires an Intel-based Chromebook; I'm
using an ASUS C301 (bought Jun 2018).  got POV-Ray 3.7.0.8 via 'apt-get',
working fine.  Tcl, SQLite3, etc, all work, although I've run into trouble with
a Tk script which lists available/installed fonts.  X Windows windows just
appear on the desktop.

the only "problem" I have is that the VM is invisble to my LAN router, it runs
in a container managed by Google's foo.  but the user's HOME shows in the file
manager, and so I can copy to/from the SAMBA server.  would like the VM to have
a '192.168.0.x' address, but dare not touch that stuff at the moment.

regards, jr.