POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Ubuntu 20.4.1 Gnome desktop leaking memory (SDL2 issue) : Re: Ubuntu 20.4.1 Gnome desktop leaking memory (SDL2 issue) Server Time
24 Apr 2024 12:11:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ubuntu 20.4.1 Gnome desktop leaking memory (SDL2 issue)
From: jr
Date: 11 Dec 2020 09:55:00
Message: <web.5fd387d42c1371ef79819d980@news.povray.org>
hi,

> On 12/10/20 12:39 PM, jr wrote:

> (1) I'm using the gnome terminal and switching to uxterm/xterm an option
> I could try too. The gnome terminal has gotten pretty heavy - now has
> tabbing into virtual xterms inside the gnome terminal - which I'm not
> using/trying as it's not the set up I'm used to using. It might be those
> options with fewer actual terminals open would use less resource, but
> they are less standard, and I hesitate to get used to them.
>
> (2) The buffer memory value as shown by top I don't completely
> understand. The ram disk consumed is included there, but it's now
> obvious other things - not memory mapped files - can make use of this
> buffer space too, but I can't yet "find" that related to Gnome. Not sure
> how to completely see the buffer memory and what applications are it.

have a look at '/usr/src/linux/Documentation/sysctl/vm.txt'.  thinking that some
of the settings may be of use (eg admin_reserve_kbytes, overcommit_memory, the
cache stuff).

> > and running something else temporarily (eg 'xfce') is not an option?
>
> I suppose it and other desktops are an option...
>
> My desktop initialization, though, isn't simple. Fifty eight placed
> terminals(1) over 4 work spaces / activities on two monitors. I'm unsure
> how easily/well the set up would map to another desktop.

sticking my neck out -- the majority of those terminals will 'ssh' sessions?  in
which case, if you're not familiar/having considered already, a single (u)xterm
running screen(1) could take care of those.  v convenient ime, detachable
sessions etc, "old" s/ware, ie stable.

(six "virtual" desktops, here.  nowhere near as many terminal session though
:-))

> ...All this me thinking aloud for little or no benefit to anyone here I
> expect. :-)

am somewhat interested because I've enabled the pre-installed Linux VM on the
Chromebook, and that is Debian/Ubuntu, though no gnome desktop.

regards, jr.