POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : v3.8 attempted load of radiosity file core dumps. : Re: v3.8 attempted load of radiosity file core dumps. Server Time
17 Apr 2024 23:21:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: v3.8 attempted load of radiosity file core dumps.
From: jr
Date: 8 Dec 2020 09:35:08
Message: <web.5fcf8eb6271ee0ea8a81eb0@news.povray.org>
hi,

> On 12/7/20 3:42 PM, jr wrote:
> > William F Pokorny <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
> >> For future reference. ...
> > and not just under Ubuntu, same for Slackware (alpha.10064268).  :-(  of
> > interest perhaps, I found a scene which segfaults even when 'RadSamples' exists.
> >   also, the file, so far, remains empty for scenes tried.
>
> On remaining empty. My only guess is perhaps there is no radiosity set
> up in the scene? It "might" be with certain scenes default settings do
> nothing.

> I'm no radiosity expert, but I think in playing yesterday I picked up
> there is some sensitivity to scene scale. Meaning any given collection
> of radiosity settings might work better with a scene covering a range of
> +-10000 than one within a range of +-2 (1). Maybe I'm getting fooled /
> fooling myself - more work necessary to be sure.

haven't much time at present to play/explore, on to the todo list.

> If you have time to post more on the segfault when RadSamples exists, it
> might be useful when I look at fixing this for povr. In any case, I'll
> keep what you posted in mind.

I've a 'tube.inc' and 'tube_000.pov' (a 'nixie tube' implementation), posted
apparently by user "Thomas", the datestamps say 'May 19th 2020' (though likely
to be date the copy was created); cannot remember whether downloaded from here
or found elsewhere on the net, and searches so far w/out result.  can post a zip
(on the understanding not my code/no (copy)right/etc)

regards, jr.