POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Radiosity - Clipka's Voodoo : Re: Radiosity - Clipka's Voodoo Server Time
23 Apr 2024 10:47:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity - Clipka's Voodoo
From: Kenneth
Date: 25 Nov 2020 04:25:00
Message: <web.5fbe21ef360fa9aed98418910@news.povray.org>
THANK YOU for posting this; it is a real motherlode of useful information. If I
ever read Clipka's original discussion back then, I had forgotten it. I'm
curious: Did you put together this PDF file, or did Clipka do it? In any case,
thanks.

The mention of upping globle_settings{max_trace_level...} for radiosity is an
interesting bit of info; I didn't know about that, but I had come to the same
conclusion after looking at my test renders' message panes.

It seems that a *few* details in the article are out of date: radiosity's COUNT
is no longer limited to 1600 (which Alain's later comments there make clear);
and I *think* that the mention of  global_settings{ambient .001} is no longer
valid, because radiosity use in v3.8xx (and also 3.7?) turns OFF any ambient
values in a scene -- to 0.0. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Alain's comments, especially about the new  'importantce'  term, are extremely
useful.

The discussion has many interesting technical points and important formulae that
I'm still absorbing :-)