POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Revisiting meshrelief : Revisiting meshrelief Server Time
20 Apr 2024 07:31:40 EDT (-0400)
  Revisiting meshrelief
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 12 Nov 2020 12:45:00
Message: <web.5fad72bc8293ac71b96893c00@news.povray.org>
Hi All

Some of you may remember my 'meshrelief' include for making perturbed meshes
from target shapes. I've recently rewritten it using a cube-face point grid
instead of the old equirectangular grid, which tended to produce 'pinching' at
the poles. The even spacing of the cube grid also allows simple kernel smoothing
of the resulting mesh.

There are now two optional mesh deformation stages (each with their own
smoothing passes if required), with predefined texture maps so the mesh can be
textured to match the deformation functions. As before, deformation is best
limited to small distances to avoid self-intersection, since the points are
moved along the local normals.

The image here illustrates these main options using a single base shape.

My intention is to share this include on this server (final polish pending).
Eventually I'll add it to the Object Collection, but in the meantime what's the
most suitable group to post it to? P.b.s-f?

I'll post a couple of other example images too in a bit

Bill

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'meshcube_icodemo.jpg' (340 KB)

Preview of image 'meshcube_icodemo.jpg'
meshcube_icodemo.jpg