POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Pending Storm : Re: Pending Storm - final Server Time
25 Apr 2024 01:24:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pending Storm - final
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 16 Oct 2020 16:45:05
Message: <web.5f8a05cceb8b16c1f9dae300@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> An idea off the top of my head: Instead of a flat billboard, you could make a
> simple low-rez height_field for the tree (including the trunk too, possibly).

Hmmm.
If a heightfield is just a displacement based on the grayscale value of the
image pixels, then you could also make an isosurface of it, and abs() should
mirror the
displacement in both directions.
Then I think there's the isosurface approximation macros that could make a
mesh{} of _that_, and then you could possibly make a whole 3D tree from just the
image.
Alternatively, I guess you could just intersect{} it with a box and texture it
with the image_map and see how that turns out...

Just thinking out loud..