POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Pending Storm : Re: Pending Storm - final Server Time
19 Apr 2024 21:52:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pending Storm - final
From: Kenneth
Date: 16 Oct 2020 10:05:01
Message: <web.5f89a7bfeb8b16cd98418910@news.povray.org>
> Op 15/10/2020 om 22:38 schreef Bald Eagle:
> >
> > You have sunlight shining on the trees, but no highlights.
> > An effect of the light group?
>
> No. This is something I am going to look into in my next scene which
> will be on ground level, without the castle. It probably results from
> the billboard settings and or gamma maybe.

An idea off the top of my head: Instead of a flat billboard, you could make a
simple low-rez height_field for the tree (including the trunk too, possibly).
Perhaps 2 or 3 different ones, for variation. (Pre-#declare each HF so that it
doesn't take up 'extra' memory when used repeatedly.) Then the trees would show
some highlights, using phong or whatever.

Since your current billboard scheme has the trees always facing the camera, the
same scheme would be used for the HF 'shells'-- the 'rear' or underside of the
HFs would never be seen.