POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Normal documentation images. Quilted. : Re: Normal documentation images. Quilted. Server Time
19 Apr 2024 19:20:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Normal documentation images. Quilted.
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 12 Oct 2020 14:40:01
Message: <web.5f84a1e0cc1d58b61f9dae300@news.povray.org>

> No doubt you found some of quilted's complications. I "think" I
> understand most of what's happening and why. We'll see.
>
> I believe any updated code should 'perturb' with the original surface
> normal in mind. I see a path to do this with flat surface stuff like
> cubes, but I don't know how to do it for curved surfaces in normal.cpp.

Maybe you could write a scene trying to express the quilted pattern in SDL as a
function?
Sometimes it's a bit difficult to translate the somewhat cryptic C++ syntax into
something intelligible.
Then at least you could have a few people play with the function and have more
eyes and minds analyzing how it all works, and where it goes wrong.

Including a note or two about how to translate the C++ to SDL (if possible)
would help future efforts, and people could begin to play with more of the
source code and patterns.   I have found this approach to be personally
educational, developmentally useful  (how many "bugs" have we found?), and it
inspires me to invent new derivative functions and patterns.