POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : using multiple versions of POV-ray-- library_paths question : Re: using multiple versions of POV-ray-- library_paths question Server Time
23 Apr 2024 03:28:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: using multiple versions of POV-ray-- library_paths question
From: Kenneth
Date: 15 Sep 2020 03:40:00
Message: <web.5f606cfc6c1a673fd98418910@news.povray.org>

and Alain wrote:
> Try this location in the registry :
>  \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\POV-Ray\v3.7\Windows
>
> There should be a \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\POV-Ray\v3.7-beta\Windows
> entry, or something similar, if version 3.7 beta is installed.
>
> And a \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\POV-Ray\v3.6\Windows
> if version 3.6 is also installed.
>
> The key entry could be the «Home» value.
> [snip]

Thanks, Anthony and Alain. I get what you're both suggesting. It looks like
creating 'symbolic links' will be the solution to my idea. The concept is
completely new to me, as are the the Windows 'tools' of  mklink  and the "j\"
option etc.-- but I've already started researching at least the basics of it
all. From what I've read so far, creating a 'hard link' seems to be more
appropriate for my idea than a 'soft link'-- but I'm not yet smart enough to
decide!

For others who are interested, this page looks like a good place to begin...

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

(BTW, being a newbie at this, I even had to look up the meaning of 'directory',
to find out how it might differ from the typical 'folder' concept. They're
*essentially* the same-- with some caveats-- but used in different contexts.)

I hope to get this idea to work; if I succeed, I'll post my method here later.