POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : povray vs uberpov am3 : Re: povray vs uberpov am3 Server Time
19 Apr 2024 09:31:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray vs uberpov am3
From: Ton
Date: 14 Sep 2020 17:30:07
Message: <web.5f5fe019aa461a8cd797883e0@news.povray.org>

> Are the results more or less similar?
>
> I know uber differs in code structure. I've myself run across an am3
> case in v3.8 where the run time - on a solid color change - increased
> 100x. Not yet dug into the latter. Beyond that, no idea.
>
> If the AntiAliasingTest.pov scene is relatively small and self
> contained, could you post a copy? I'll at least put it in my issues
> directory, though who knows when I might take a look at it.
>
> Bill P.

Wow, a hundred times slower, and I was complaining about 5 times!

Here is my little test file:
#version 3.7;

global_settings
{
    assumed_gamma 1
    noise_generator 2
}
background
{
    color srgb <0, 0, 0>
}

union
{
    #for (I, -25, 25, 1)
        cylinder
        {
            <-20, 0, 0>, <20, 0, I>, 0.01
        }
    #end
    pigment
    {
        color srgb<1, 1, 1>
    }
}

light_source
{
    <25, 8, 0>, rgb<1, 1, 1>
}

camera
{
   location <25, 8, 0>
   right <image_width / image_height, 0, 0>
   look_at <12, 0, 0>
}

Cheers
Ton