POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.programming : An updated povr tarball for Unix/Linux. f6b1c13e : Re: An updated povr tarball for Unix/Linux. f6b1c13e Server Time
16 Apr 2024 02:21:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An updated povr tarball for Unix/Linux. f6b1c13e
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 3 Aug 2020 20:50:01
Message: <web.5f28afcbf6dfcecf1f9dae300@news.povray.org>
"Tor Olav Kristensen" <tor### [at] TOBEREMOVEDgmailcom> wrote:

> I'm lurking around in here in periods, but I seldom have as much time to
> contribute as I would like.

Of course.  I hope you enjoy what you do and your field of work is flourishing.

Most of my work gets done in fits and starts and flashes of inspiration.  Rest
assured that much of what you have done to help myself and others clarify key
concepts and make it over hurdles we were struggling with has been of great
value.   Every snippet of code, equation, macro, or even a single 9-character
line of code is something to be used, learned from, and transferred on to others
climbing the same ladder.

> What is happening here is often interesting and
> thought provoking. And sometimes very nice images appear ! So it is very good
> that you and others keep this forum alive over time.

Indeed, there is still development happening across the spectrum - from
fundamental equations, algorithms, and other under-the-hood work to the
glistening final renders of stalwarts and masters.

> All is well here, thank you, except, of course, from the COVID-19 pandemic.
> The Corona virus has not (yet) caused such big problems here in Norway as it has
> in many other parts of the world. I hope all is well with you too Bill.

It all seems to be part of the cunning game taking place on the Grand
Chessboard.  The way I see it, "COVID-19" hasn't created any problems over and
above any of the other diseases that have ever arisen over the years, but
certainly the [over]reactions to it HAVE.

All is never "well" - but I have learned from many of the people who have
offered me insight and wisdom over the years that adversity and a bit of
hardship keep the mind and body healthy.

"...technology alone didn't allow humans to go to Madagascar, to Australia.
Neanderthals built boats too. Instead, he says, there's "some madness there. How
many people must have sailed out and vanished on the Pacific before you found
Easter Island? I mean, it's ridiculous. And why do you do that? Is it for the
glory? For immortality? For curiosity? And now we go to Mars. We never stop."
It's ridiculous, foolish, maybe? But it was the Neanderthals who went extinct,

there. And maybe it's only a fool who will ask about supertasks, about infinity.
But if you want to solve problems, you don't just solve the ones that are there,
you find more and make more and go after the impossible ones; fostering a love

wasn't a mathematician, but his advice fits nicely here. If you want to build a
ship, don't drum up people to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work,
but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea."

- Michael Stevens