POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : POVEarth still far away... : Re: POVEarth still far away... Server Time
24 Apr 2024 21:54:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVEarth still far away...
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 2 Aug 2020 20:15:00
Message: <web.5f2756a293bb714f1f9dae300@news.povray.org>
> Okay, that's the ticket! Thank you VERY much... that's a whole asteroid
> off my heart! What a stupid little mistake...
>
> Probably the seemingly endless #write sequence led to memory overload...

Well - it's those damned pesky little parentheses again.

> The original version by Melody was even much, much slower - generating a
> 3601 by 3601 mesh took some cool 200 days! My version does it in two and
> a half hours...

OMG - that's ridiculous.
Use what you have, but start experimenting with making a version that's MUCH
faster.

> I don't understand what you mean

Just casually look at that block of code.
How many individual times do you calculate "xdim+(b-1)"?
Using that as a starting point, how many arithmetic operations can you "roll
into one"?

I cannot pre-calculate anything!
Yes you can.  Look, think, TRY.
Sometimes small things, sometime larger patterns reveal themselves.

> Before that parenthesis went lost, it worked fine... probably slower
> than necessary, but it worked!

Dude - if you know you can use a table saw, why rip an 8ft board by hand?
I'm using a 21600 x 10800 pixel heightfield for an _isosurface_, and I _render_
that in minutes, not hours....
How are you going to process _multiple_ tiles?   :O