POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.programming : An updated povr tarball for Unix/Linux. f6b1c13e : Re: An updated povr tarball for Unix/Linux. f6b1c13e Server Time
23 Apr 2024 13:31:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An updated povr tarball for Unix/Linux. f6b1c13e
From: jr
Date: 2 Aug 2020 19:40:00
Message: <web.5f274c9ef6dfcecf4d00143e0@news.povray.org>
hi,

> On 7/29/20 2:16 PM, jr wrote:
> regarding that, I did a
> > 'diff' on the respective 'vfe/unix/unixconsole.cpp' files, is the 'XInitThreads'
> > call (including surrounding conditional) the only thing that would need to be
> > added to allow the _f9bc4ef7 version to function safely wrt X11?
>
> As safely as the newer release, yes.

not sure you will be as pleased as I am, but I've successfully downgraded to a
patched _f9bc4ef7.  I've used it to re-run the animation, no problems.  and it
is, for that code, faster than stock POV-Ray.  for the parsing, 'povr' needed
around 13.2 seconds per frame, while the alpha took around 13.8; for a 360 frame
animation, that alone has saved more than three minutes.  the total times (360
frames) were:
      alpha.10064268     povr
real    204m9.135s     181m32.384s
user    547m30.221s    470m55.856s
sys     0m3.471s       0m6.385s

another "interesting" thing is the output of 'ps'.  a big difference in the
virtual memory size, 'povr' barely 2% of POV-Ray's size.  and, puzzling this,
while the thread count ('nlwp') for POV-Ray fluctuates (6 to 10), 'povr's always
reads 1.

and regarding my previous post, I feel I should not have just given the car
analogy and left it at that; another instance of (me) communicating poorly.  I
guess it is, for me, about choice.  if, in the documentation, early and
prominently, there was a section regarding "interoperability", a paragraph on
name collisions and concerns, and one on the naming convention chosen to
(almost) always prevent name clashes, that should suffice. in my case, virtually
all SDL code I write is exclusively for my own consumption/entertainment, hence
my .. feeling bolshie re mandated uppercase, I guess.  :-)  if I write something
I think might be useful and decide to publish, then I'd have no objection to
writing that code to adhere to given guidelines. so, I hope the feature can be
made a selectable option, because I'd like to keep following along on the ..
'povr' journey.  :-)  (I guess I might even use the feature, to check whether
the code "passes")

regards, jr.