POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.programming : An updated povr tarball for Unix/Linux. f6b1c13e : Re: An updated povr tarball for Unix/Linux. f6b1c13e Server Time
20 Apr 2024 04:05:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An updated povr tarball for Unix/Linux. f6b1c13e
From: jr
Date: 31 Jul 2020 10:45:00
Message: <web.5f242c92f6dfcecf4d00143e0@news.povray.org>
hi,

> Is it possible, and is there a security issue related to providing a means to
> create a subdirectory in a write-permitted directory?
>
> #write creates a file.  Can we create a directory by a similar means?
> Just something to think about.

have been thinking about (wishing for) for a 'system()' type function for a long
time.  but reading the above made me realise that a modified '#fopen' which
supports command pipelines, aided by a new OPEN_TYPE for r/w access could do
"everything" anyway.  then we could write, eg:

#fopen FP "| program" rdwr

to communicate with 'program', making creating a directory, all sorts of stuff,
easy and convenient.  for instance write some calculated parameters to 'program'
and read back new, derived values.

regards, jr.