POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.programming : An updated povr tarball for Unix/Linux. f6b1c13e : Re: An updated povr tarball for Unix/Linux. f6b1c13e Server Time
23 Apr 2024 14:31:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An updated povr tarball for Unix/Linux. f6b1c13e
From: jr
Date: 31 Jul 2020 04:25:00
Message: <web.5f23d42df6dfcecf4d00143e0@news.povray.org>
hi,

> On 7/29/20 2:16 PM, jr wrote:
> > I find I'm not .. getting on with the forced uppercase stuff (sorry), and would
> > prefer to go back to the first version you posted.
>
> Could you be more specific?
>
> Povr breaks compatibility with as little as possible - but still quite a
> lot. My aim is to keep behavior near v3.8, but there is certainly more
> compatibility breakage to come. Is it more than wanting to continue to
> use lower case and/or includes which already have lower case?

no, for me it's just[*] the lower/uppercase stuff.  basically, each of my old
scenes I tried, failed.  I thought about modifying scene code, but since they
work I'll find it easier not to use (the new version of) 'povr'.

[*] at present.

> Are there actual conflicts/problems with the approach; or examples where
> it's very inconvenient?

just inconvenient.  eg, to "fix" the scene I used when I ran into the X11
animation issue, would be a lot of work, made worse by the fact that I got that
scene from the web, ie it's not even my code.

> The functionality is still hacked in - because I'm trying it too. :-)
> But, thus far, I'm liking the behavior.

cannot say the same.  guess I'm "allergic" to uppercase.  :-)

(could this behaviour be enabled/disabled via a 'povray.conf' setting instead?)

> > regarding that, I did a
> > 'diff' on the respective 'vfe/unix/unixconsole.cpp' files, is the 'XInitThreads'
> > call (including surrounding conditional) the only thing that would need to be
> > added to allow the _f9bc4ef7 version to function safely wrt X11?
> >

> As safely as the newer release, yes.

thanks, I'll try that then, sometime this weekend.

regards, jr.