POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : POVEarth still far away... : Re: POVEarth still far away... Server Time
19 Apr 2024 19:40:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVEarth still far away...
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 15 Jul 2020 13:20:01
Message: <web.5f0f3ab193bb714ffb0b41570@news.povray.org>
=?UTF-8?Q?J=c3=b6rg_=22Yadgar=22_Bleimann?= <yaz### [at] gmxde> wrote:

> Yes, it is... but for doing POVEarth (or even just Khyberspace!) with
> reasonable resources, a system needs to be state-of-the-art, something
> like an AMD Ryzen Threadripper with 256 GiB worth of RAM and harddisk
> storage in the two-digit terabyte range - far beyond my reach, unless I
> break a lotto jackpot!

I think he meant just to buy some more RAM, second-hand.

I used to work for an electronics surplus place, and we could have probably
filled a pallet with memory sticks of every description.
We could have probably filled several pallets with the hard disks.

You can buy new 1TB HDD for ~35 USD (FRN) or 8 TB for $150
Why you'd need that much, I have no idea.

You can check whatever the equivalent of Ebay and Craigslist for computer
listings, look for used or damaged systems at yard sales, flea markets, moving
sales, estate sales - you really just never know what someone is willing to just
give away for a few dollars.