POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How can we speed up the saving process? : Re: How can we speed up the saving process? Server Time
25 Apr 2024 04:53:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How can we speed up the saving process?
From: Kima
Date: 13 Jul 2020 07:30:00
Message: <web.5f0c458e1af26a06ecc0fada0@news.povray.org>
Thorsten <tho### [at] trfde> wrote:
> On 10.07.2020 20:28, Kima wrote:
> > You are right! I was able to reduce this period by changing the output format.
> > It is not a matter of compression but data handling since the shortest time was
> > to save as a lossy JPEG.
> >
> > Anyhow, I should find a way to do this single-thread process in the background
> > while starting next rendering.
>
> This behavior sounds more like a configuration error of your harddisk
> drivers or some other odd configuration on your Linux system. The only
> rational reason why JPEG would be "fastest" is that is produces the
> smallest file of all file formats, and hence the actual data written to
> disk is the least.
>
> So you may want to start checking your local configuration.
>
> Thorsten

Thorsten, it has nothing to do with writing the data on disk. It is about the
time required to produce JPEG or PNG file.

Save the output to a bitmap file (e.g., BMP) or even use any large image (not
produced by POV-Ray). It takes much longer to convert it to PNG as compared with
JPEG. Not just because the produce JPEG is smaller.

One reason is that PNG is zip-compressed (normally zlib).