POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : (lots of) ies files for download : Re: (lots of) ies files for download Server Time
16 Apr 2024 15:11:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: (lots of) ies files for download
From: Kima
Date: 11 Jul 2020 00:00:01
Message: <web.5f0938e7b6338e29ecc0fada0@news.povray.org>
"Mr" <mauriceraybaud [at] hotmail dot fr>> wrote:
> Good day !
> If I'm not mistaken, there is still no POV trick to make use of ies files, but
> in case someone came up with one, the following page is about to publish a huge
> amount of ies samples,  30000 already there, aming for around 200 000:
>
> https://ieslibrary.com/en/browse

Thanks for sharing this. This quite interesting.

I can't think of any trick except for mixing individual lights according to the
sect of candela values in the IES file. In this case, we would have a set of
lights to build a single light source. Then, POV-Ray has to ray trace for each
of them. This will make the rendering painfully long.

The practical approach is if POV-Ray reads an IES file as a light source. I have
no knowledge in this matter, but as the lighting system of POV-Ray is
straightforward, I think it needs a substantial change in the lighting system.