POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : alpha.10064268 outputting strings : Re: alpha.10064268 outputting strings Server Time
19 Apr 2024 22:28:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: alpha.10064268 outputting strings
From: B  Gimeno
Date: 17 Jun 2020 12:15:00
Message: <web.5eea40cf71bac6e7a723b8610@news.povray.org>
Here is the reference to the old 256 limit in v3.6

https://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/510/
STRING_LITERAL STRING_LITERAL:
    "up to 256 ASCII characters"

And the link to the updated 3.8 version:
http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Strings#String_Functions
STRING:
  STRING_FUNCTION   |
  STRING_IDENTIFIER |
  STRING_LITERAL STRING_LITERAL:
  "up to 256 ASCII characters"

I propose to use as many concat() as necessary, if that was the problem.

By the way, has anyone managed to write unicode characters (\unnnn) above the
ascii 128 limit to a text file? I would like to play with the rest of the ascii
characters but I only get blank spaces; Yes, I have already tried utf-8 in
general settings, but I do not intend to generate a text object in an image
using a truetype font or an ANSI extended font, but a separate plain text file
whose content is dumped by
Pov-Ray.

Regards
BGimeno