POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Elliptical torus : Re: Elliptical torus Server Time
18 Apr 2024 22:38:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Elliptical torus
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 3 May 2020 00:05:00
Message: <web.5eae42c7a032ea3dfb0b41570@news.povray.org>

> > "I couldn't resist trying it..."
>
> lol - well of course not.  :D

And I couldn't resist implicitizing it.
I mussssst ... do..... the math..... yesss....
                                                     my Precious........!

And here is The One Elliptical Ring.
The gradient is only about 4.5    :)

However, you will notice that it doesn't render correctly when axis-aligned.
If I rotate it by 1 degree (0.5 isn't enough), then it becomes fully visible.

Do we smell a root-finding problem?  Ugh.

Martijn does some interesting little tweaks that I haven't thought out
completely to fix holes and other artifacts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-adHIyjIYgk   (14 min mark)
No idea if any of that is related to POV-Ray isosurface issues.
I think he might address some similar issues either earlier or in Part 2.

Anyway, I'm off to bed, but had to post this for Ricky.

Maybe tomorrow I will be able to better parameterize it.

Boo-Ya!

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'implicitellipticaltorus.png' (49 KB)

Preview of image 'implicitellipticaltorus.png'
implicitellipticaltorus.png