POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Curved prism : Re: Curved prism Server Time
18 Apr 2024 15:36:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Curved prism
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 18 Apr 2020 16:25:01
Message: <web.5e9b61159447013fb0b41570@news.povray.org>
Le_Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:

> Ok, clearer with a picture, thanks.
> So height on the curve is function of the distance to the prism's edge.

Hmm.   Maybe.   In my mind, I formulate it as "width at any point above the base
prism is a function of the height above that base".
But it may work best either way depending upon the prism used...

> I foresee plenty of problems with concave prism.

Oh yes.  Maybe if there's a way to make a nice "center-line font" style offset
curve it would be possible to roughly estimate...

> Good point: defining a strength-field, using the distance to the nearest
> edge of the prism, is possible. Then a non-linear function (like square
> root or cube) can be used, to curve in space the shape of such isosurface.

I used a liner interpolation between the hexagonal "prism" (for the cap, it's an
isosurface) and a sphere.
The severe challenge would be defining an isosurface describing the prism
without resorting to using the "object as isosurface" by WFP.

> Infernal point: the continuity of such field, when changing edge, is not
> intrinsic, so excepted for regular polygon, it is probably doomed.

Thus why my example is a regular polygon.  :)    I tried to play with doing some
CSG, but even with the hexagon, it's a royal pain and rapidly gets very complex.
 Some cool "failures" though.  Might be useful for non-smooth decorative column
capital.