POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : object too far from camera is not shown : object too far from camera is not shown Server Time
25 Apr 2024 04:13:02 EDT (-0400)
  object too far from camera is not shown
From: guarnio
Date: 18 Apr 2020 10:20:00
Message: <web.5e9b0b9165bf5d0b5e8f98ff0@news.povray.org>
Hi everybody,

i'm working on a solar system model and was trying to generate the sun. Since
the camera is gonna stay in the earth-lunar vicinity, the Sun is going to be
approximately 150 million km away from the camera. Whilst creating the pictures
i noticed the Sun didn't show up even when it's location was looked at by the
camera. I'm gonna post the code below, as a texture for the sun just download
any texture you want from the internet (or this
https://www.solarsystemscope.com/textures/download/8k_sun.jpg).

I'm gonna share the code with "position_SUN" vector declared at the beginning,
you can just change that and see that just dividing the cut off distance is
dividing the sun's distance ("position_SUN" vector) by /30 (in this case the sun
still appears), while dividing only by /28 makes the sun completely disappear.
I hope someone will be able to help me with what the problem is,
Thanks in advance.

here's the code

global_settings {
noise_generator 2
assumed_gamma 1.6
}
#include "colors.inc"

#declare position_SUN= <150000000,0,0>;

camera {
   perspective
   location <0, 0, 0>
   up <0,1,0>
   right <1.6,0,0>
   look_at position_SUN
   angle 35.4515
}

#declare SUN = sphere {
   position_SUN 696342
   texture {
      pigment {
         image_map {
            jpeg
            "/home/guarn/MEGA/Auto_Navigation/Textures/8k_sun.jpg"
            map_type 1
            interpolate 2
         }
         translate position_SUN