POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : There will be no POVEarth! : Re: There will be no POVEarth! Server Time
25 Apr 2024 11:01:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: There will be no POVEarth!
From: Sven Littkowski
Date: 2 Mar 2020 11:50:01
Message: <web.5e5d3831fac6f305594a84930@news.povray.org>
> The reason: the data structure in the ASCII elevation data tiles
> generated with 3DEM from the original ASTER GeoTIFFs is too
> unpredictable to reliably generate anything from them using POV-Ray!
> Values ending in .00 are intermingled with those ending in .0 or being
> real decimal fractures, they are mostly separated by one space, but
> sometimes also two... no combination of sed commands I ever tried
> produced a POV-Ray-processible file! Some tiles work, while others won't...

Hi,

I am a software developer, and if you give me examples of all eventualities,
maybe I can create a program that can correct them with the intended substitute
signs. But then again, replacement can be done with programs as simple as
Notepad, too.

What exactly is wrong with the files? Please list all wrong elements and their
correct counterparts, maybe then I can understand better.

Also, have you tried other file versions of those areas, like DEM files?